Top Pilots – Top Tips!
Danielle is ranked as a Top 10 Amateur Pilot in Canada by The Webster Memorial Trophy Competition 2010.
Danielle is from Regina, Saskatchewan, and she trained at the Regina Flying Club. Danielle earned her Commercial Pilot’s License through the Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Science and Technology (SIAST) Commercial Pilot Diploma Program.
Danielle’s next step in aviation will be working towards her Instructor Rating, and her long term goal is to eventually work her way up into major airlines.
Webster Memorial Trophy Competition
The Top 10 Finalists in the Webster Memorial Trophy Competition (2010) were asked to submit their Top 10 Pilot Tips to LearnToFly.ca. We’ll publish these Top 10 Pilot Tips from the Top Amateur Pilots in Canada to help you become a better pilot.
Top 10 Pilot Tips from a Top 10 Amateur Pilot
Here’s Danielle Furgason’s Top 10 List:
- Check the weather often, not just when flying. Learning to decode TAFs, METARs, GFAs etc. comes with practice.
- Every new pilot has some bad flights – don’t let it discourage you! Learn from all of your mistakes.
- Talking on the radio may seem intimidating at first, but eventually this garbled nonsense will become your second language.
- Don’t focus on only one instrument. Take information from several instruments to figure out what’s going on.
- ATC (Air Traffic Control) is more scared of you than you are of them. Don’t be afraid to ask for clarification on any instructions or clearances you don’t understand.
- Study! Know all the steps to every flight manoeuvre before you get into the airplane to practice it.
- Your image in aviation sticks with you! From the very first day you start flying to your last flight make sure you conduct yourself in the way you wish to be remembered.
- On a flight test the two things to remember are HALT Check and Refer to Checklist.
- Practice good situational awareness even when you are with your instructor. It will make your solos less scary!
- Don’t get behind your airplane! Make sure you know what’s going on right now, what’s coming up next, and plan your next action or procedure.
Congratulations to Danielle Furgason for being a Top Ranked Amateur Pilot (2010), and thanks for sharing your Top 10 List of Piloting Tips!
We look forward to publishing the Top 10 Pilot Tips from other Top 10 Amateur Pilots in Canada.