“Catcher in the Sky”
The Perfect Trainer
The new Cessna 162 Skycatcher is the ideal trainer. It’s simple to fly, and very responsive. With fingertip control, the student pilot will quickly learn to fly, and is certain to fall in love with this docile training airplane.
The 162 model number should immediately give you an good impression of this great airplane. Many pilots learned to fly in the older Cessna 150 and Cessna 152 airplanes. The 150 & 152 models were both two-seat tricycle gear airplanes perfect for flight training. The Cessna 172 is a larger four-seat tricycle gear airplane common for flight training today. Now, we have something in-between. The Cessna 162 is a modern version of a two-seat tricycle gear training airplane.
At first glance, the Skycatcher is immediately recognized as a ”fun-to-fly” airplane. It’s the ideal, economical flight training aircraft. Student pilots will easily achieve the joy of flight in this modern trainer as they quickly learn to fly.
Fun to fly, and Looks Great!
The Cessna 162 Skycatcher looks as good as it feels to fly. This high-wing, tricycle gear trainer comfortably seats two. The modern interior is beautifully designed, with an open and wide view for near unobstructed visibility. The Skycatcher boasts the very latest technology with great affordability and easy flyability. The Skycatcher is pure fun. It’s easy to fly, and most importantly, easy to land. The Cessna 162 has two-seat capacity including the pilot. Ample luggage space is provided aft of the seats. Left hand and right hand gull-wing doors allow easy access for both the pilot and passenger as they swing upward.
For Flight Training, or Personal Use:
- Side by side, Two Seat
- High Wing (Strut braced)
- Gull-Wing Door Design for easy entry
- Incredible Visibility
- Tricycle Gear
- LSA (Light Sport Aircraft)
- Spacious 44 inch cabin room
- 30 foot wingspan
- 118 knot max speed
- 490 lb useful load
- 898 ft/min climb rate
The modern glass panel and advanced avionics make the Cessna 162 the perfect trainer for new pilots. The controls are designed for the new generation of aviator, and the airplane is easily manoeuvred using the ”single hand control” panel mounted yokes. The Cessna 162 will be equipped for day and night VFR flying only. The standard panel will include the Garmin G300 EFIS, Garmin SL40 communications radio, GTX327 transponder, and a 121.5 MHz ELT. Flight data information will be displayed on the G300 in a single, split-screen combination Primary Flight Display (PFD) and Multi-Function Display (MFD). Upgrade options include a second full-screen display, Autopilot and advanced audio panel.
The LSA or Light Sport Aircraft is a relatively new category of sport aircraft. Airplanes that qualify as an LSA may be operated by pilots with a Sport Pilot Certificate. LSA aircraft may also be flown by pilots with higher ratings such as a Private, recreational or higher pilot certification.
The FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) defines a light-sport aircraft with very specific requirements.
- Maximum gross takeoff weight of not more than 1,320 pounds (600 kg)
- Maximum airspeed in level flight of 120 knots (220 km/h, or 140 mph)
- Maximum stall speed of 45 knots (83 km/h, or 42 mph)
- Either one or Two seats
- Fixed undercarriage
- Fixed-Pitch or ground adjustable propeller
- Single engine (electric motor or reciprocating engine)
The Cessna 162 Skycatcher is powered by the 100hp Teledyne Continental O-200D flat four engine.
Cessna 162 Skycatcher Specifications:
- Two-Seat: One Pilot and One Passenger (Side by Side)
- Maximum Cruise Speed 118 ktas (219 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 112 knots (207 km/h)
- Certified Ceiling 14,625 ft (4,458 m)
- Takeoff Distance 1,138 ft (347 m)
- Landing Distance 1,370 ft (418 m)
- Rate of Climb at Sea Level 898 fpm (274 mpm)
- Range 400 nm (741 km)
- Ramp Weight 1,324 lb (601 kg)
- Takeoff Weight 1,320 lb (599 kg)
- Landing Weight 1,320 lb (599 kg)
- Zero Fuel Weight N/A lb (N/A kg)
- Usable Fuel Capacity 144 lb (65 kg)
- Typically-Equipped Empty Weight 834 lb (378 kg)
- Useful Load 490 lb (222 kg)
- Maximum Payload 486 lb (220 kg)
- Full-Fuel Payload 346 lb (157 kg)
- Height 7 ft 4 in (2.24 m)
- Length 22 ft 1 in (6.73 m)
- Wingspan 30 ft 5 in (9.26 m)
- Cabin Height 47 in (1.19 m)
- Cabin Width 43.6 in (1.11 m)
- Cabin Length 7 ft 7 in (2.32 m)
- Standard Seating Capacity 2
- Baggage Capacity 22 cubic ft (0.6 cubic m)
Landings in the Cessna 162 Skycatcher are simple! Approaches can be flown as slow as 50 knots with full flaps. The slow ground speed and responsiveness of the 162 are great benefits when practicing landings as a student pilot. The landing roll can be as short as 650 feet, and the slow approach with reasonable flare makes for perfect landings almost every time.
With more than 1,000 Skycatchers already on order, Cessna has scored a big win in the General Aviation LSA category. The Cessna 162 Skycatcher is the perfect trainer or personal use aircraft. Advanced, modern, fun, and easy to fly!